But, I know a plain (vegetable) Daliya Khichdi can be so boring to have and enjoy be it for diet or whatever reason.! So to make it more interesting and less boring we performed few “experiments”, I’ll be very honest with you’all now.. first, we tried making Daliya with eggs and it tasted fine of course but you know, the heart wants what it wants and it screamed for chicken so finally, we had to try making this dish with egg and chicken this time and believe me I’ve never enjoyed having Daliya Khichdi so much before than I do now, the tender and juicy flavor of marinated chicken when mixed with the Daliya, it became the perfect “Chicken Daliya Khichdi” that can promise you a ride to food heaven,I ain’t lying.
The recipe for making this dish is very simple but little bit different than the regular Daliya Khichdi recipe, in fact this recipe is so easy because of its minimal ingredients requirement that you can cook this dish when you are running out of vegetables or simply in no mood to cook grand items in the kitchen.
A quick Introduction : Daliya or Dalia, known as Bulgur in English is a cracked wheat known for its extremely good source of protein and high-fibre, good for both young and old, who are thinking of losing weight and the diet conscious buddies who can’t keep their hunger pangs in control like me. Daliya is an extremely versatile ingredient, which also proves to be a delicious rice alternative for those trying to cut carbs, want some change in their food menu or for those who simply don’t prefer to have it in the form of porridge cooked either in milk and water topped with berries or nuts, like me. Uggh!
Cooking Time : 15-20 minutes
Taste : Spicy
Course : Main
|Daliya – Bulgur||250 gm|
|Bone-less Chicken||250 gm|
|Mung dal (Yellow Split Mung)||100 gm|
|Ginger Paste||1 tbsp|
|Garlic Paste||1 tbsp|
|Cumin Seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Dried Red Kashmiri Chili||2|
|Whole Black Pepper||6-7|
|Cumin Powder||1 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||1 tsp|
|Red Turmeric Powder||1 tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||1 tbsp|
|Garam Masala Powder||1 tsp|
|Salt||As Per Taste|
Chicken Marination :
|Bone-In Chicken||250 gm|
|White Vinegar||1 tbsp|
|Turmeric Powder||1/2 tsp|
How to Marinate :
- Marinate the chicken with the mentioned ingredients – Curd, lemon, white vinegar, salt and turmeric powder and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200º C and grease the baking tray, put the chicken in the oven and set the aut cook menu- bake for 12 minutes and keep it aside.
- Soak Bulgur (Daliya) in normal room temperature water for 1 hour before cooking.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and fry the mung dal (Yellow Split Mung) over a medium flame for 2 minutes , do not cover.
- Drain off the water completely from Daliya and pour it in the pressure cooker over the fried mung daal, add 1tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 litre water accordingly and salt as per taste, cover the pressure cooker on a medium flame for 1 whistles. When the pressure goes off, keep it aside.
- Fry scrambled eggs and keep it aside.
How to Cook Chicke Daliya Khichdi :
- Step 1: Heat oil in a wok, put 1/2 tsp sugar, cumin seeds, bay leaf, dried red kashmiri chili, green chili, black cardamom, green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and black pepper in the wok, fry them for 2-3 minutes over a medium flame until a nice aroma reaches your nose.
- Step 2: Add garlic paste, fry till it turns light brown, add chopped onions, cook till it turns translucent over a medium flame. Add ginger paste, chopped tomatoes , garam masala powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, mix and cook for approx. 5-7 minutes over a medium flame.
- Step 4: Add the scrambles eggs and baked chicken to the ingredients in the wok and mix well.
- Step 5: Final step, Pour the fried Daliya (Bulgur) over the masala ingredients in the wok, add 1 tbsp ghee, mix well and cover .Simmer for 7-9 minutes over a medium flame. Stir in between. serve it with Onions.
So, what are you waiting for? If you want to spice up your taste buds, while keeping your health on priority , then this recipe is just for you, go ahead and make your regular Khichdi a special one today, and let me know your views in the comment sections beow.
If you liked my today’s post on Chicken Daliya Khichdi do like,share,comment and subscribe to my blog for many more such exclusive authentic and easy recipes at home. Stay Safe, Stay Healthy.
Follow my Food Journey on Social Media :
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/rakhijana_