Chicken is considered as one of the most versatile food item in the food universe, you can anytime experiment numerous recipes and invent a new flavor profile of yours, the process of making something new is as exciting as to devour the delicious food items that’s cooked in the kitchen. It is said, unlike some in their region, Afghans like their food neither too spicy nor too hot, and they are renowned for their use of dried fruit and nuts. So, I was so keen to try this new recipe- “Afghani Chicken curry” all on my own and I’m pretty sure that I ended up making my parents very content with the end results.
Rich in its creamy texture and flavor, this recipe is very simple, quick and very authentic in its flavor. Cooked with cashew nuts and some fresh cream, Ahghani Chicken curry is best served with Roti and Parathas but we Bengali’s always love to have rice over anything for our main course. Haha!
|Skinless Chicken legs (halved)||5 pieces|
|Large Onion (quartered)||1|
|Garlic Cloves||3-4 pieces|
|Fresh Coriander Leaves||1/2 small bunch|
|Kasuri Methi Powder (Dried Fenugreek Powder)||1 tsp|
|Garam Masala Powder||1 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||1 tsp|
|Lemon Juice||1 whole piece|
|White Vinegar||1 tsp|
|Salt||1 tsp/ As Per Taste|
|Green Color (Optional)||2 drops|
|Fresh Cream||4 tbsp|
|Small Black Coal||1 piece|
|Oil||2-3 tbsp/ To Cook|
|Ginger juliennes (Optional)||To Garnish|
- Blend onion, garlic, ginger, coriander, cashew nuts, green chilies and ½ cup water, grind to a fine paste.
- Take chicken pieces in a bowl, add the prepared paste, curd, kasuri methi powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder, lemon juice, white vinegar, ghee, salt and sugar. Mix well.
- Refrigerate to marinate for half an hour.
- (Optional Step) : Bake the marinated Chicken in the preheated oven at 200 C for 7-8 mins. before cooking to make the chicken pieces soft, tender and more juicy in it’s flavour
Method To Cook:
- Step 1: Heat oil and add ghee in a nonstick pan or an aluminium wok, sear the marinated chicken pieces for 7-8 minutes over high flame. Add the remaining marination and ½ cup water. Cover and cook till gravy is thick and chicken bone is visible – (this shows the chicken is properly cooked).
- Step 2: Add fresh cream and mix well over a medium flame.
- Step 3: In a small bowl place lit coal, add cloves and ½ tsp ghee and place in the center of the pan. Cover and keep aside for 2-3 minutes on a low flame. Turn off.
- Step 4: Transfer into a serving bowl.
- Step 5: Garnish with ginger juliennes (optional). Serve hot with paranthas or devour it with rice ;).
So, if you’re into quick and delicious chicken recipes just like me and also look for varieties in the chicken dishes to spice up your taste buds on a rainy day or let’s just say on any day, please give this scrumptious recipe a try and you will end up licking your fingers for more. I promise you, its that delicious!
If you liked my today’s post on Afghani Chicken, do like,share,comment and subscribe to my blog and also subscribe to our new Youtube Chanel – bongappétit for many more such exclusively, authentic and delicious food recipes at home. Stay Safe, Stay Healthy!
Follow my Food Journey on Social Media :
Images are subject to copyright.©