What came first the chicken or the egg? As a child growing up I always dreamed of solving this scientific mystery for the world and to be called as “The Genius” . But now in 2020 duh!! who cares? At least I don’t, being a Media student. But having a cuisine cooked with egg and Indian spices remains my favorite for lunch or dinner especially when it is “Dimer Kalia”.
A Short Definition : Kalia is a Bengali cooking term denotes to a very rich preparation of egg , meat and fish using various spices and masalas in the kitchen.
“Dimer Kalia” or spicy egg curry is an authentic Bengali cuisine originated in the eastern state of India, West Bengal . The recipe is cooked in rich gravy with whole garam masala, red chili powder and onions which plays a very vital role in defining this recipe also it gives a very rich aromatic flavor to your taste buds. The eggs are cut into halves and shallow fried in a pan and later cooked in a rich masala gravy that finally makes the perfectly delicious “Spicy Egg Curry” recipe.
The basic ingredients of this rich Bengalig Spicy Egg Curry – Dimer Kalia recipe consists of the following things :
Cooking Time : 25-30 minutes.
Course : Main
Taste : Spicy
|Cinnamon||1 small piece|
|Green Cardamom||2 piece|
|Whole Black Pepper||5-6|
|Whole Cumin Seeds||1 tsp|
|Dried Red Kashmiri Chili||1|
|Dried Fenugreek leaves (Kasoori methi)||1 tsp|
|Onions Chopped||2 medium|
|Tomatoes Chopped||1 medium|
|Ginger Shreds||1 tbsp|
|Garlic Shreds||1 tbsp|
|Turmeric Powder||1 tbsp|
|Red Chili Powder||1 tbsp|
|Cumin Powder||1 tbsp|
|Coriander Powder||1 tbsp|
|Garam Masala Powder||1 tsp|
|Kitchen King Masala Powder (optional)||1 tsp|
|Salt||As Per Taste|
|Hot Water||1 cup|
|Mustard Oil||To Cook|
|Coriander Leaves (optional)||For Garnish|
- Cook soft boiled eggs in a pressure cooker or in a pot and peel off its outer shell.
- Cut the eggs into halves (incompletely or partially), add 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp turmeric powder, mix and marinate the soft boiled eggs.
- In a heated mustard oil, fry the marinated eggs on a high flame till the eggs turn golden in color.
How to Cook the Spicy Egg Curry:
- Step 1 : In a heated mustard oil, add cinnamon, green cardamom, cloves, whole black pepper, dried red kashmiri chili, bay leaf and whole cumin seeds. Saute well, till the spices’ aroma reaches your nose.
- Step 2 : Add garlic paste, saute well, later add ginger paste, cook till its raw aroma goes away over a high flame.
- Step 3 : Add chopped onions, cook till it turns translucent and properly mixed, add chopped tomatoes, cook till it turns pulpy and mixed well with other ingredients.
- Step 4 : Sprinkle turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, kasoori methi, kitchen king masala powder (optional – to enhance the taste), salt and sugar over the ingredients in the wok/pot. Mix and cook well over a high flame till it turns a proper gravy.
- Step 5 : Pour 1 teacup curd over the ingredient,stir the gravy for 2 mins approx. and add 1 tbsp ghee,mix well.
- Step 6 : Add fried eggs to the ingredients and mix well, till the eggs are well coated with the gravy.
- Step 7 : Final step, pour in 1 bowl of hot water to the ingredients, Simmer for 8-10 mins. approx. till the gravy thickens and reaches your desired consistency.
Step 8 : Garnish(optional) and serve hot with rice
A very straight forward recipe, you can have this lip smacking, spicy bong egg curry with rice and roti but I always suggest having bowl of rice with this delicious dish.And if, yo’re an eggetarian I’m very sure you’re going to love this ‘Dimer Kalia’ recipe made with all Indian spices and masala ingredients. The dish is very rich and deliciously satisfying that you must try if, you’re a true ‘egg-lover’.
So, now if, you’re finished having your regular boiled bland eggs ,why don’t you try making this dish for tonight’s dinner and make your loved ones a lil’more proud of you?
If you liked my today’s recipe on ‘Dimer Kalia’, do like, share, comment and subscribe to my blog for many more such exclusive authentic and easy recipes at home. Stay Safe, Stay Healthy and have a nice and delicious week ahead !!!!.
Follow my Food Journey on Social Media :
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/rakhijana_
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/rakhi.jana.9/
Images are subject to copyright.©