We Bengalis are famously known for our love for fish and sweets, we can write an entire essay on how much we live for having delicious fish recipes and more, having said that, we finally got to buy some fish in this lock down after a very very long time later and so this is going to be my very special blog post of this month, I can’t put it all in words how much I missed having fish curry in this Covid-19 lock down, so only you can see by looking at these pictures below how we cooked this delicious fish recipe with so much love and care and since this was going to be my very first fish recipe on this blog I had to go for this typical and authentic Bengali fish cuisine – Rui Macher Tel Jhal (Rui Fish Curry)
So how does Rui (Rohu) Macher (Fish) Tel Jhal (Rich Curry) actually taste like? In simple words, one bite of this fish curry with a hand full of rice in your mouth will give you a food orgasm.No Kidding! This food recipe is simply mind-blowing and deliciously rich in flavor and spices, the curry is medium spicy and the fish is fried in the beginning and later cooked in an onion-based curry that tastes simply sweet and delicious, basically it is a recipe God has made to satiate your fish cravings and to bless your taste buds on any week days, this fish curry definitely has a separate fan base, cooked in every Bengali households and on special Bengali occasions, by just looking at this fish curry being cooked in the kitchen will make your stomach growl and mouth-water. It is so scrumptious!
|Rohu (Rui) fish||11 pieces|
|Paanch Phodon||1 tsp|
|Whole Cumin seeds||1 tsp|
|Dried Kashmiri Red Chili||2|
|Red Chili Powder||1 tbsp|
|Turmeric Powder||2 tbsp|
|Cumin Powder||1 tbsp|
|Coriander Powder||1 tbsp|
|Ginger Shreds||1 tbsp|
|Garlic Shreds||1 tbsp|
|Onion Sliced||1 large|
|Tomato Chopped||1 medium|
|Salt||2-3 tbsp/ As Per Taste|
|Mustard Oil||To Cook|
- Wash and clean the cut fish pieces, place them in a large tray/bowl, add 1-2 tbsp turmeric powder and 2 tbsp salt, mix and marinade the fish.
- Heat (8-9 tbsp) mustard oil in a wok/pan, tilt the wok carefully one side at a time so the oil distributes around the perimeter, add the marinated fish pieces carefully, fry them for 5 to 6 minutes on the first side till its complete golden brown, cook and turn over the pieces till its golden brown on both sides and properly fried over a medium flame. Once done, keep it aside.
Please Note : ‘You can add some more mustard oil around the perimeter of the wok while frying to avoid against sticking, also your fish should make some sizzling sound while frying because if your fish are silent then you need to turn up the burner’.
How to Cook:
- Step 1 : Heat 6-7tbsp mustard oil in a wok/pan, add whole cumin seeds, 1 pinch hing, cinnamon, green cardamom, cloves, dried kashmiri red chili, 1 slit green chili, bay leaf and sugar in the oil, saute till the sugar is caramelized and changed its color to golden-brown in the oil and the spices releases an aroma over a medium flame.
- Step 2 : Add ginger shreds and garlic shreds to the ingredients in the wok, sauté and cook over a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Step 3 : Add the sliced onions in the wok, fry till its completely translucent and mixed well with the ingredients for 3-4 minutes over a medium flame.
- Step 4 : Add the chopped tomato to the ingredients, sauté till it has turned pulpy and thick over a medium flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Step 5 : Add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and coriander powder to the ingredients, mix well, by then the gravy-ingredients should release a very nice aroma that reaches your nose.
- Step 6 : Pour 1 bowl of water to the ingredients, stir and mix the ingredients. Simmer/Boil for 6-7 minutes till the curry has rolling, steady, more forceful bubbles over a high flame. This releases the flavor of the spices and masalas in the curry.
- Step 7 : Final Step, add the fried fish pieces in the curry, mix well, this involves submerging the fish pieces properly in the gravy/curry.
- Step 8 : Add 1 cup hot water to the final ingredients, mix well, cover the pan/wok and simmer for 7-8 minutes till the curry thickens and reaches your desired consistency, stir in between over a medium flame, this shall release a nicely done rich flavored aroma that reaches your nose. Once done, turn off the flame.
- Step 9 : Serve hot with rice, ghee and salads.
Rui Macher Tel Jhal (Rui Fish Curry) is an authentic Bengali fish recipe that must be served with simple plain rice (only) and onions , please don’t look for any other alternatives like roti, parathas or pulao, (just don’t) also you can always add some side dishes like fried potatoes with (Posto) poppy seeds that goes well with this dish but it doesn’t matter if you don’t because, this lip-smacking and delicious fish curry recipe alone will be enough to help sate your heart and food cravings all at the same time…yummy!
If you liked my today’s recipe on ‘Rui Macher Tel Jhal (Rui Fish Curry)’, do like, share, comment and subscribe to my blog for many more such exclusive authentic and easy recipes at home. Stay Safe, Stay Healthy and have a nice and delicious week ahead !!!!.
Follow my Food Journey on Social Media :
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/rakhijana_
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/rakhi.jana.9/
Images are subject to copyright.©