Paneer just like any other food ingredient is considered as one of the very versatile food item in our food universe. And most importantly, Paneer is a vegetarian food product consumed by majority of the people -Indians on daily basis. On that note, we decided to try our hands on making “Paneer Makhani” this Sunday for lunch and to be honest it was the best decision we made on a Sunday morning to end this weekend on a delicious note. Since it was my first time experience with this dish, I was a little bit nervous while making the gravy (makhani) of this dish and Oh My God, it turned out so good and perfect, more than what I was expecting. The thick grounded ingredients/paste was so sleek and buttery, the texture,the flavor was mildly sweet, firm and aromatic. I was so satisfied while making this dish and its delicious mouth-watering flavor was worth the efforts it took me to cook this cuisine at the end of the day.
A short Introduction : ‘Paneer Makhani‘ is a slightly sweet creamy dish of paneer, a very popular Punjabi cuisine, originating from the Indian subcontinent, in which the gravy is prepared usually with butter, tomatoes, cashews and cream. Spices such as red chili powder and garam masala are also used to prepare this gravy. Paneer referes to Indian cheese and makhan refers to butter. Therefore, Paneer Makhani is a literal translation of Paneer Butter Masala. Best served with Roti, naan or parathas, this dish can also be enjoyed with plain white rice and onions. yummyyy….
Cooking Time : 60 minutes approx.
Taste : Sweet
Course : Main
|Fresh Cream||4-5 tbsp|
|Boiled Milk||1 small bowl|
|Cinnamon||1 medium stick|
|Kashmiri Red Chili Powder||2 tbsp|
|Turmeric Powder||1 tsp|
|Garam Masala Powder||1 tbsp|
|Dried Kashmiri Red Chili||1|
|Kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek leaves)||1 tbsp|
|Salt||As Per Taste|
|Coriander leaves||For Garnish|
|Vegetable Oil||To Cook|
How To Cook :
- Step 1 : In a non-stick pan, heat 2-3 tbsp oil, add chopped onions, tomatoes, sugar, salt, cashew nuts, green cardamom, black cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, chopped ginger, garlic cloves, 2 green chilies, 1 1/2 tbsp red chili powder and butter. Saute for 20-25 minutes over medium-high flame. Add 1-1/2 teacup water and cook for another 15 minutes, until oil separates. (Discard the bay leaf and black cardamom, once done)
- Step 2 : In a grinding jar, add the cooked ingredients and milk, ground them to a thick paste. The texture should feel extremely creamy and buttery on fingers. (We used boiled milk which was very thick and turned little creamy in texture instead of water)
- Step 3 : In the same heated pan, add 1 tbsp ghee and 1 tbsp oil, toss the cube sized chopped paneer in to the pan and fry for 10 minutes both sides over a high flame. Once done, keep aside.
- Step 4 : Pour 1 tbsp oil in the pan, add 1/4 tsp ginger shreds and 1/2 tbsp red chili powder. Saute for 2-3 minutes over a medium flame till the ginger is fried and a nice aroma reaches your nose.
- Step 5 : Pour in the thick paste in to the pan over medium-high flame. Sprinkle 1 tbsp garam masala and 1 tsp turmeric powder. Saute for 15 minutes until oil separates. Add 150 ml of water accordingly. Cover and simmer till the gravy thickens and reaches your desired consistency for 10 minutes over a high flame. Stir in between to avoid sticking.
- Step 6 : Add the fried Paneer and mix well. Coat paneer with the gravy properly , add 1 small bowl of water and mix well. Cover the pan and bring it to a boil over a high flame.
- Step 7 : Sprinkle Kasoori Methi, pour 4-5 tbsp fresh cream. Mix well.
- Step 8 : Garnish with coriander leaves and butter.
- Step 9 : Serve hot with roti or naan/paratha.
A very simple and delightful ‘Paneer Makhani’ recipe to cook on weekends to enjoy its lip-smacking delicious, sweet and makhani flavour that will tempt you to lick your fingers clean at the dining table and still can’t get enough of this recipe. So, go ahead and enjoy making this scrumptious Paneer recipe for your loved ones and leave your views in the comment section below. I would love to read them all.
If you liked my today’s recipe on ‘Paneer Makhani|Paneer Butter Masala’ recipe, do like, share, comment and subscribe to my blog for many more such exclusive authentic and easy recipes at home. Stay Safe, Stay Healthy!
Follow my Food Journey on Social Media :
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/rakhi.jana.9/
Images are subject to copyright.©