Mushrooms are incredibly versatile. In fact, I absolutely love mushrooms, they are one of my favorite, rich in anti-oxidants, vitamins and protein but above all they are mind-blowing-ly delicious and yummy if cooked accordingly, Mushrooms can literally replace the chicken on your plate and still provide you the same nutrients and taste that you’re looking for in your food . But are mushrooms really a vegetable? No, they are a type of fungi, relax, they are still edible and you can have them without getting food-poisoning. Although they are basically classified as vegetables but technically mushrooms aren’t plants, so they aren’t classified as either fruits or vegetables. Phew…
Chili mushroom gravy is a very simple, straight-forward and delicious recipe you can cook on such lazy weekends and have an absolute clean break from Indian food menu while keeping your health and taste on priority. Freshly brought button mushrooms are simply fried and tossed in a thick rich and spicy sauce and stirred in an Indo-Chinese style recipe only to give you that perfectly balanced flavor of veggies and mushroom together, so delicious that you will lick your fingers clean.
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Taste: Sweet and Spicy
|Button Mushrooms (sliced-half)||500 g|
|Onions Petals||3 large|
|Green Capsicum ( (Bell Pepper)||1/4 cup|
|Red Capsicum (Bell Pepper) (optional)||1/4 cup|
|Yellow Capsicum (Bell Pepper) (optional)||1/4 cup|
|Ginger Shreds||2 tsp|
|Garlic Shreds||1 tbsp|
|Green Chilies slit||5|
|Black Peppercorns Crushed||1 tsp|
|Red Chili Sauce||1 1/2 tbsp|
|Green Chili Sauce||1 1/2 tbsp|
|Dark Soy Sauce||1 1/2 tbsp|
|Red Tomato Sauce||1 tbsp|
|White Vinegar||3/4 tbsp|
|Kashmiri Red Chili Powder (to add color)||1 tbsp|
|Corn Starch (optional)||1 tbsp + water|
|Salt||As Per Taste|
|Spring Onions (scallions-green portion) chopped||1/4 cup/For Garnish|
Mushroom Marination Ingredients :
|Button Mushrooms (sliced-half)||500 g|
|All Pupose Flour (Maida)||4 tbsp|
|Corn Starch||3 tbsp|
|Kashmiri Red Chili Powder||1 tsp|
|Dark Soy Sauce||1 tbsp|
|Ginger-Garlic Paste||1 tbsp|
|Black Peppercorns||3/4 tsp|
|Cumin Powder||1/4 tsp|
|Water||To Make Batter|
- Mix all the listed ingredients in a bowl with little amount of water occasionally while whisking all the time to avoid forming clumps and continuing to draw in the flour until you have a smooth batter that will coat the mushrooms firmly.
- Pour in the sliced mushrooms and coat well. Refrigerate to marinate 30 minutes.
- Heat 6 tbsp oil in a pan, add the marinated mushrooms. Fry over medium flame till the mushrooms releases water and changes color to slightly brown over medium flame. Once done, set aside for later.
How To Cook :
- Step 1 : In a non-stick pan, heat oil, add ginger-garlic shreds, saute 8 minutes over low-medium flame till it changes color and a nice aroma reaches your nose, add slit green chilies, fry 5 minutes over medium flame.
- Step 2 : Add onions petals and saute 5 minutes over low-medium flame, add Red-Yellow-Green Bell Pepper. Fry 7-8 minutes over medium flame. Sprinkle salt (as per taste), kashmiri red chili powder, dark soy sauce, red chili sauce, green chili sauce, tomato ketchup/sauce and vinegar. Mix and sauté 5 minutes over medium flame.
- Step 3 : Add fried mushrooms with the ingredients. Mix well over medium flame. Add water 300 ml, sauté 7-8 minutes over high flame.
- Step 4 (Optional) : In a small bowl, add 1 tbsp corn starch and water, mix well and pour the corn starch slurry in to the gravy. This makes the gravy thick and consistent.
Note : add cornflour mix water only if the gravy seems too thin)
- Step 5 : Stir the ingredients for another 5-6 minutes more over a high flame. Check for salt. Garnish with chopped Scallions (spring onion greens), cover & let it rest 10 mins. ,turn off the flame. Serve hot with roti or chapatti.
If you liked our ‘Veg Special’ recipe on ‘Mushroom Chili | Chili Mushroom Recipe’ do like, share, comment and subscribe to my blog and to our new Youtube Chanel – BonGappétit for many more such exclusively, authentic and delicious food recipes at your homes comfort. Stay Safe, Stay Healthy!
Follow my Food Journey on Social Media :
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/rakhi.jana.9/
Images are subject to copyright.©